Monday, July 29, 2013

Retire the Red {Raiders}

The school Nick and I attended growing up is consolidating with another school next year, so the town put together a big "Retire the Red Raider" celebration. We planned Trice's Birthday party for the same weekend so we could enjoy the festivities. We had the BEST time; I'm so sad it's over. There was a lot going on and we didn't participate in all of it, but we stayed plenty busy and got to see a lot of people we haven't seen in awhile. I love being home .. and usually never want to leave. This weekend was no exception. 

Friday night we ate pizza from my favorite pizza place -- Breadeaux. I have 2 rules about going home -- 1. Must eat pizza at Breadeaux. 2. Must get my favorite donut from the bakery. 

We stayed up way too late chatting with family and then Trice did something completely crazy - HE SLEPT ALL NIGHT. Yep. 11:30-7. Don't worry, it was a total fluke - but we'll take it. :)

Saturday morning we woke up bright and early and headed into town. We checked out the vendor fair where they were selling the old jerseys from our school. We were sad they didn't have Nick's jersey, but we did find my brothers. We went to the bakery and got donuts (and then I sat on frosting and it was caked into my black yoga pants which I wore up and down main street... not like every person I have ever known saw me or anything..) and picked up Trice's cake. 

The boys in their red & black

Our Babysitter

We stopped to catch a few bubbles from cousins Kelsey and Katie...






Then it was off to line up for the parade. I definitely felt like it was back in the good old days of Homecoming! I miss cheerleading so much. I wore one of Lauren's cheerleading shirts because most of my wonderful cheer memories involve her and I even used one of her old poms. I know she would have LOVED getting another chance to cheer in the parade so I was glad she could be a part of it! 

Me, Auntie Joyce, Cousin Haley and little man ready to cheer in the parade!




Benny playing sax in the alumni band



I, of course, had to stop along the parade route to chat and got a little behind the other cheerleaders!


Our Family in our REd & Black after the parade

After the parade we stopped and chatted with a few friends and I got to see some babies I hadn't seen in awhile or had never met. We found Amanda and little Kinsey and let the babies be reunited. 


Kinsey is SO darn cute!


Nuzzling Trice!

Trice playing hard to get



Hug it out.
Baby Kisses -- oh so sweet!
We enjoyed a delicious barbecue meal - Trice loved his pulled pork sandwich. The beans? Not so much. Then we headed down to a little ceremony at Lauren's tree. Our friend, Ashlee, read a couple poems in honor of Lauren as a way to include her in their class reunion - another event Lauren would have LOVED attending.  

In Memory of Lauren Anderson

Trice approves.


Just trimming the tree

I'm SO big! 






Trice was easily entertained wrestling uncle Adam..





Ashlee read two sweet poems to honor Lauren ... A few of us have bad allergies and needed a kleenex.. 

I'm sure Lauren was smiling great big that we were there on a nice day enjoying each other's company!





Some of Lauren's classmates



We drove 4 hours to hang out with our neighbors. :)



Ryan, Lisa, and Doug

Did I mention Trice enjoyed it?!





Hey, What's in there?!

We went back to my aunts house and Trice and I fell asleep. Then it was off to the pool with grandma Donna and uncle Adam. It was a little chilly, but Trice still LOVED it. Another item to cross off his summer bucket list.



Because you are never too old for water slides .. I always say!

I know you all are SO jealous I snagged this one all those years ago... 

After the pool, we headed back to Main Street for the "official" retiring of the Red Raider. Trice got to climb on cousin Hayden...


 Benny played in the "Red Raider Trivia" game


And played in the alumni band!

We enjoyed some tacos at my aunt's house and then headed to bed so we could wake up bright and early for the big Birthday party!!! That post to come soon (after I sort through the 500 pictures!)

It was a wonderful weekend at home like always. I love being around family and friends and I really do miss living there and the "old" days!

2 comments:

  1. What fun!! And what a beautiful weekend. I love the little ceremony you had at Lauren's bench and tree. Perfect!
    I'm looking forward to reading all about Trice's party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a wonderful day! I am so glad I got to see you and Benny and FINALLY meet Mr. Trice! Such a cutie! Hard to believe he's a year old! Time sure flies!

    ReplyDelete