Dear 3-year-old Trice,
Wow. You are the most incredible tiny human being I have ever met. Your imagination is out-of-this world. You are intelligent, have the best sense of humor, and are incredibly kind (when you want to be, of course). You do everything so BIG - so loud - so full of life. There is literally never a dull moment with you. Every single day you bring me to tears from laughing so hard. Some days you bring me to tears because you are SO spirited, and I wonder how I'll ever survive. The doctor says there isn't a return policy on three-year-olds, though, so I guess we're going to have to stick it out together. I love spending my days with you - teaching you, loving you, praying with and for you, playing and watching you play.
Your love for Jesus reminds me to have child-like faith. You are so eager to learn more about Jesus and how great his love is for you. You are always asking when you can go to Heaven and who will be there and what the place Jesus is preparing for you will look like. You know that you are a gift from God, and I pray that you will never forget how much He truly loves you. I want you to grow knowing that no matter what life throws at you, Jesus is in control and will lead you through the storms. Sometimes I just don't have the answers to your really big questions. I do the best I can, and I pray for wisdom to speak the truth.
Your curiosity - definitely more than even curious George (whom you think is the coolest monkey ever .. but who doesn't?!) The world amazes you. Every piece of nature is a masterpiece to you. I have never appreciated God's creation as much as I do now that I've seen it through your eyes. I may not ever burn any calories on a walk with you anymore, but I gain so much - a love for rocks, blades of grass, and birds flying in the sky.
It's not always sunshine. We have our days. We have our "fights." You test your limits and push my buttons. You are too smart for your own good sometimes. Your ability to remember every little detail about everything often causes frustrations because I just don't remember. You wake up from nap fighting mad. You pretty much never sleep. I lose my patience sometimes, and we exchange a lot of apologies. At the end of the day, there's nothing better than resting my head next to yours knowing that you are fully aware of how truly loved you are and that tomorrow is a brand new day with you.
My heart aches for the day that we are done fighting fires, feeding dinosaurs, building blanket forts, stirring up some oatmeal bites or whipping up smoothies, or marching around with instruments singing the Iowa State Fight song. I already think about the toys that have been forgotten and games you no longer have an interest in. Your likes are changing, and I enjoy each phase just as much as the last .. but let me tell you, buddy, I sure miss each phase, too. This year is going to be bittersweet for me, so hang with me, bud. It's our last year together before you head off to preschool (unless I can change daddy's mind and he lets me homeschool you!) We have only ever spent two months apart, and other than that we've basically been inseparable. I think I'm going to be a bit lost without you, and I know you might miss me a tiny little bit, too. I hope this year is filled with so many memories that I can reflect on as I cry watching you walk into your classroom next year.
You've taught me so very many things -- most importantly to live in this moment and to cherish it because they go by so very, very quickly. You inspire me to be a better mommy, wife, and person.
Please be 3 forever. Please be awesome forever. Please, just please, be you .. forever.
Just like I tell you as I draw a cross on your forehead every night before bed, "You're a blessing from God, and you're verrrrry special to me." I love you to Heaven and back, Trice!
Love,
Mommy

He definitely is a loved little guy! And it's only going to get better, I'm sure of it!!
ReplyDelete