I'm sitting her in my pajamas on my comfy couch breathing in the delicious smell of cinnamon apples baking in the oven.. I cannot wait to cover them with some ice cream and enjoy every last bite.
I never look forward to Nick travelling. In fact, I usually become a big baby and complain about it for weeks leading up to it and then the whole time he's gone. Then for at least a week after he returns, I make sure he knows how miserable it was without him. Midweek I usually have a little pity party, eat a 1/2 carton of ice cream, and text him about how unfair this is. I sometimes start to feel bitter toward him and his paid vacation. Basically, I just turn it into something so miserable.
But..
Not this time. Not. this. time.
Here's the thing - Nick's job allows me to stay home with my babies every single day. There is nothing I treasure more than this. His job puts food on our table. It heats our home. It is the reason our house is filled with more things than a person should ever have or need. And sometimes - maybe more often than I like - it requires us to be countries apart. This isn't going to change, and I'm grateful for that. I'm grateful because as long as Nick is still travelling, I know that this life that I am so incredibly grateful for is pretty secure (God willing!)
Before he leaves, I pray for two things.
1. Please keep Nick safe and return him home to me in one piece.
2. Please help me survive.
End of story.
This time I prayed for more - I prayed that we would do more than just survive. That we would enjoy this week apart, and that we would both bless others and be blessed. I genuinely hope that Nick is enjoying his trip, and that he returns rested and refreshed (because I'm going to the Bahamas next week so he better be ready.. just kidding!) We sure miss him, and I don't love that he's gone - how could I when he's the most helpful husband ever? I'm operating on little sleep and a migraine, but I'm definitely not over here sulking in the corner. I am about to consume some delicious ice cream, but it is NOT because I'm an emotional wreck. It's just because my dad's girlfriend introduced me to the amazingness that is baked apples, and I couldn't resist.
1. Please keep Nick safe and return him home to me in one piece.
2. Please help me survive.
End of story.
This time I prayed for more - I prayed that we would do more than just survive. That we would enjoy this week apart, and that we would both bless others and be blessed. I genuinely hope that Nick is enjoying his trip, and that he returns rested and refreshed (because I'm going to the Bahamas next week so he better be ready.. just kidding!) We sure miss him, and I don't love that he's gone - how could I when he's the most helpful husband ever? I'm operating on little sleep and a migraine, but I'm definitely not over here sulking in the corner. I am about to consume some delicious ice cream, but it is NOT because I'm an emotional wreck. It's just because my dad's girlfriend introduced me to the amazingness that is baked apples, and I couldn't resist.
In fact, this week I am so grateful. Grateful for moments I would have handed off to Nick, middle of the night feedings to bond with my sweet girl that wouldn't have occurred if daddy was here to offer a hug and a binky, an hour long phone call with my oldest brother that I never take time to make (and a clean bathroom because of it - multi-tasking for the win), the cleanest house I've seen in a long time (so everyone I know should come over in the next 5 minutes), and opportunities to remember just how valuable Nick is to this family. I've even enjoyed all the added household responsibilities because I know they have a purpose. I have been so intentional this week. I've made sure meals were prepared ahead of time and we've eaten so healthy. I've napped when I needed to nap. I've freed up our schedule so that my obligations were few. And I've asked for help when help was needed.
And my kids? They TOTALLY picked up on this. They were the sweetest, most helpful little tiny humans they could possibly be. My heart has been exploding all week long. Trice has stepped up to help me in any way possible, and I'm so proud knowing that he learned by the example of his father.
We've just really had a pretty great week.
We've just really had a pretty great week.
If you can't change your circumstances, change your attitude. When you start to complain, give thanks. In doing so, God might even change your heart and all of a sudden those circumstances that seem so terrible will be seen for what they truly are - a blessing.
#itsalmostfriday
#itsalmostfriday
No comments:
Post a Comment