As I type this, Trice is nestled in bed beside me. I know the second I try to move him, he'll wake up screaming and flailing and we'll be back to step one. You see -- Trice doesn't sleep. And by doesn't sleep, I mean we take turns all night long. Last night it was 9-4:30. Some nights it's a little better, but we don't catch a lot of shut eye around here. And we don't really complain. I know this will pass. I know he won't be little for long and someday he wont want his mommy to snuggle him all night - which makes me terribly sad depressed. So even with giant bags under my eyes and a house that hasn't been cleaned in months and the fact that I'll probably go to church tomorrow without a shower (but hopefully at least teeth brushed and deoderant on), I can say that being a mommy has been the greatest gift God has ever, and will ever, give me.
So on this Mother's Day, I can't help but think about what being a mommy means to me --
It means waking up every single morning to slobbery kisses, arms around my s neck, and a very wet diaper. Crawling around on the living room floor all day chasing an ornery little two teethed grin and giggling non-stop. Changing a few poopy diapers here and there and being splattered with peas and carrots and other mushed-up veggies. Reading "The Wheels on the Bus" 800 times and losing feeling in one arm an hour into a two-hour nap. Watching eyes light up at 5pm when daddy walks through the door followed by a lot of "dadadadadada." It means having my heart broken every time I do something that reminds me of my own mom, hearing scary stories on the news, when I think about friends who long to have a child of their own, mother's watching their children battle illness, or mothers who have lost a child. It's wanting every single moment to last forever, never sleeping and complaining little, and thanking God every second for a precious gift. Being Trice's mommy means more to me than I ever could have possibly imagined. He's changed my entire life for the better and while there are frustrating moments, when sometimes I just want a break, when my house looks like a tornado went through it, or I have bags under my eyes that won't go away, I remind myself that I am the world to those bright blue eyes and I am loved unconditionally ... these days pass by so quickly. Happy Mother's Day to all you mommies out there! You are making a big difference and you are appreciated more than you know!
I always tell Benny, "If I knew being a mommy would be this much fun, I would've had a baby years ago." Totally kidding, by the way.
One of the books we read all the time is "My Mommy and I" (Shouldn't it technically be "My Mommy and Me" or no? Anyway, the last page says, "We're joined at the heart, my mommy and I." So I walk around saying, "We're joined at the heart -- My Trice and I" like.. a lot!

Happy Mother's Day! <3 You are a wonderful mother! You can just see how happy Trice is!
ReplyDelete